Arepa Reina Pepiada.
In honor of Susana’s achievement, they dressed a girl as a queen, and this attracted the attention of Susana’s father, who happened to be passing by the small restaurant.
Attracted and curious, he asked what the girl was doing there and upon learning the reason, he identified himself as Susana’s father and said he would take his daughter to eat at the Alvarez’s business.
It gives you a Arepa con Queso?
Upon presenting the cornbread tostadas filled with chicken and avocado in her honor, they called the arepa “La Reina” and as the curvy women of the time were called “pepiadas” it became the name of the now famous arepa.
Arepas Reina Pepiada Recipe
Ingredients for the arepas
- 4 Tazas Water
- 1/2 cda Salt
- 4 Tazas Corn flour
For the filling of the "Reina Pepiada" (Queen Pepiada)
- 1 Unidad Chicken breast
- 1 Unidad Avocado
- 2 cda Mayonnaise
- 1 Unidad Onion
- 1 Diente Garlic
- 1 cucharadita Salt
- 1 Ración Cilantro
- 1 Ración Peas or "petit pua".
Preparation of the arepas
- For the preparation of the dough and the corresponding arepas, we will use the traditional corn flour arepas recipe.
Preparation of the filling
- The first thing to do is to boil the chicken in a pot with water and a teaspoon of salt, until it is soft, and then proceed to shred it. This can take between 15 and 20 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, we can prepare the dough for the arepas according to the recipe indicated.
- Once the chicken is soft enough, it will be well cooked, proceed to remove it from the water and I will put it in a bowl to cool a little to crumble it without burning.
- Now we are going to mix all the ingredients in a bowl. First we place the avocado cut into pieces, then the diced onion, cilantro and garlic and start mixing. Then add the chicken, peas and mayonnaise, until the mixture is very compact. Finish with the teaspoon of salt and the filling is ready.
- Finally we open the arepas and place the filling. We can add pieces of avocado to complement.
History of the name of the Arepa Reina Pepiada
“La Reina Pepiada”, is one of Venezuela’s famous arepas. Its original recipe consisted of a baked chicken stew, mixed with avocado slices and peas. Its creator, Heriberto Alvarez, is from the state of Trujillo.
The name “La Reina Pepiada” dates back to 1955, when Venezuelan model Susana Dujim won Miss World. Heriberto and his family ran a small restaurant in Caracas.